Western Washington Whippet Association – 21st Specialty, August 2, 2008
Complete 2008 specialty results are available from the BaRay website or in the marked catalog (PDF, 7.12MB).
Photos (copyright Beth Levine) of most of the entries are available in this Picasa photo album.
Judge – Bo Bengtson, Bohem Whippets
Thanks for asking me to judge your specialty. The Whippet people in the Northwest are a great group and this show had some wonderful dogs that are among the best in the country. The entry was just over 100 and I really enjoyed the opportunity of sorting through your dogs, even though almost none of the decisions were easy. Type varied greatly, and sometimes that was reflected in the winners: as a judge you’re supposed to apply your interpretation of the standard on each individual dog, and those that fit the standard the best may vary a bit in type.
I really don’t like writing critiques after the event, since the result usually becomes a compromise between what you THINK you said on the tape (I speak way too fast and can’t always decipher it myself) and what you remember, which a few weeks after the event isn’t necessarily valid. I also found that it was easier to mention just what didn’t appeal to me… so I apologize if the following sounds like “fault judging.” I assure you that I most certainly do not judge by faults only! Just assume that everything that’s NOT mentioned about your dog was perfect.
Thanks for all the kindness and hospitality, and good luck with your Whippets!
Puppy D. 6-9 mo.
Very nice class, all four have potential.
1. Summit And The Beat Goes On (Ch. Ableaim Barchet Kurt Russell x Ch. Whipmark’s Catch Me If U Can). Very promising. Lovely type and outline, good proportions for age, a little coarse in shoulder as yet.
2. Summit Start Me Up (Ch. Summit Wildoats Fine and andy x h. Arwen’s Main Event at Summit SC). Exceptional quality and type but rather narrow in the rear. Beautiful type and outline.
3. Summit Shine On (as #2) A little shorter in loin than the two above, nice type, well shown and handled, moved well.
4. Wasatch Capacious Dream of the Ring (Ch. Bo-Bett’s Lord of the Rings x Ch. Starline’s Charmed Harlequin). Lovely quality but decided to act up and never settled, and also decided to fly his ears.
Puppy D. 9-12 mo.
1. Lost Creek Vendange (Lost Creek Bzantium Galewind x Ch. Castlecrest’s Firestorm) Very stylish, could have a little more angulation both front & rear but in spite of this an excellent mover, a little short in loin.
2. Shantellie Tye One One (Shantellie Its My Party JC x Ch. Windigo’s Rebellious Ellie Mae JC).
Similar mold to 1st, a little longer but also a little less elegant and not quite as good a mover.
3. Lost Creek Charnu (as #1). A little too thin on the day, needs to develop a lot in body but very stylish.
Dogs 12-18 mo.
1. Summit Ironwood Decadence (Ch. Camelot’s Nerves of Steel x Ch. Summit Moonlight Becomes Her). Lovely quality and balance, solid and sound, good proportions.
2. Snow Hill Hot Stuff (Ch. Sportingfield’s Hot Topic x Ch. Snow Hill Mind, Body & Soul SC) Very elegant but falls away a little towards the rear and does not move well behind. Very well handled.
3. Daydream & Lovats Red Baron (Ch. Castlecrest’s King’s Ransom x Castlecrest’s Lucky Penny). Too skinny all the way through and did not move well in front. Very elegant.
1. & RWD Taliesin Moonstruck (Ch. Brushwood Prime Time Endeavor x Taliesin English Muffin). Very stylish and elegant, well constructed throughout but could use a little more substance. Good
2. Summit Ironwood Tony Soprano (Ch. Chelsea Gold Rush of Keynote x Ch. Summit La Signora Cristabel). Beautiful mover from the side but rather wide coming and going, could have a little more elegance.
3. Winfield Right Here (Ch. Winfield I’d Rather Be Right x Winfield Blonde Ambition) Arches his back a bit too much and rather straight in front but a very nice mover.
4. Shadow Run Sun Blocker (Lyth Windwalker x Jammin Tea’at Shadow Run) Tall black, substantial but not good in front, a little heavy in head, heavily muscled.
1. Winfield Sittin’ On A Rainbow SC (Ch. Strebor’s Energize LCM CGC x Ch. Winfield Carnaby Street). Substantial, a little short in loin, moved OK, just needs longer lines.
2. Ricochet’s Cinderella Maan (Ch. C.Square’s Like An Icon Delight x Ch. Windsong SF Angel Dust JC). Similar proportions as above but more refined, needs more substance and body.
1. & WD Highbridge Home Ice Advantage (Ch. Counterpoint Jungle Drums FCH x Whimsy’s Harriet The Spy). Won quite handily, not a small dog but high quality and long beautiful lines, well made throughout, a little too refined in head but still masculine and very sound.
2. Lost Creek Bzantium Galewind (Ch. Lost Creek Malted Milk Whimsy x Galewinds Hannah). More substantial but not as elegant and did not move quite as well, very masculine.
3. Windsong Could It Be Magic (Ch. Plumcreek Come Fly With Me JC x Sporting Fields Moonlite Sonata). Very refined, could be more masculine, flattens a little in topline and a little too fine in bone.
4. Highbridge Power Play (as #1) Nice quality and type, very masculine, a little short in loin and a little too much rise over the loin.
Puppy B. 6-9 mo.
Fantastic class, all could be future specials. Very difficult to judge.
1. Wasatch Tangerine Dream (Ch. Bo-Bett’s Lord of the Rings x Ch. Starline’s Charmed Harlequin). Could have a litle more forechest but such beautiful outline and substance, moved like a little trouper. Behaved well in this class but later decided she didn’t like me so lost out on higher honors. The next day’s judge had the same problem but still put her up – if she learns to enjoy dog shows she could have a great future.
2. Summit Uptown Girl at Corliza (Ch. Summit Wildoats Fine and Dandy x Ch. Arwen’s Main Event at Summit SC). Beautiful outline but a little lower stationed, needs to get more leg, showed with great confidence but carried her tail a little too high.
3. Summit Ebony and Ivory (as #2). Not quite the same outline as her sister yet but this is one I’d like to see in two years. Excellent substance. Low and long now but will grow into herself.
4. Summit Moonsruck (Ch. Ableaim Barchet Kurt Russell x Ch. Whipmark’s Catch Me If U Can). Very pretty, well balanced, more mature than those above but not quite as long and curvy.
Puppy B 9-12 mo.
1. Lost Creek A Taste of Red (Can. Ch. Lost Creek Bzantium Galewind x Ch. Castlecrest Fire Storm). Won pretty easily, very correct, I’d just like a little more scope. Very precise, good mover.
2. Lost Creek Amoroso (as #1). Very similar, a little longer in outline but doesn’t move quite as smoothly.
3. Tivio N Woodrose Material Girl (Ch. Bo-Bett’s Spotlight Pursuit x Ch. Tivio Shine On You Crazy Diamond). Good substance, could have a little more angulation.
4. Windigo N Tivio Perfect at Terrapin (Ch. Red Cloud Tivio Touchstone JC x Ch. Tivio Windigo Perfectly Tuned). Extremely elegant & feminine, a little short-coupled and moved rather closely behind. Gorgeous head.
Bitches 12-18 mo.
1. Summit Ironwood Just Ducky (Ch. Camelot’s Nerves of Steel x Ch. Summit Moonlight Becomes Her). Won pretty convincingly, a little doubtful going away but very well balanced and correct with sufficient length of loin. Moved well from the side.
2. Summit Ironwood Pretty In Prada (Ch. Chelsea Gold Rush of Keynote SC x Ch. Summit La Signora Cristobel). Beautiful type, longer proportions but a little high in the rear. Not completely confident.
3. TCS Jammin’ I Don’t Do Dishes (Shadow Run Sun Burn x Windy Lucy Brown JC). Beautiful substance, needs more angulation and didn’t want to be on the table.
Very difficult class with a lot of beautiful bitches of different types.
1. & RWB Kaliphna Color of the Wind (Ch. Strebor’s Energize x Kaliphna Dixieland Delight). Won pretty easily, high quality, could perhaps have a little more length of loin and would then be hard to fault. Beautiful clean bone, stylish mover, lovely head & expression, good substance.
2. Starlaine N Jade ‘Tis The Season (Ch. Morlais Imagine at Whimsy x Ch. Windy Days Jade McKenzie). Not quite the outline of above but similar in type and had an air of importance about her, good head & neck, nice mover.
3. Summit Ironwood Creme Brulee (Ch. Camelot’s Nerves of Steel x Ch. Summit Moonlight Becomes Her). A little low on leg and not quite in condition on the day. Very much “my type” and had a gorgeous head.
4. Windigo Tivio Perfect Isn’t Ez (Ch. Red Cloud Tivio Touchstone x Ch. Tivio Windigo Perfectly Tuned). Nice quality but looked more immature, not quite solid movement going away.
1. Starlaine’N Jade Better Watch Out (Ch. Camelot’s Nerves of Steel x Ch. Windy Day’s Jade McKenzie). Well balanced, could have a little more angulation at both ends but very nice mover.
2. Sporting Field’s Embraceable (Ch. Eclipse Sp Fld Bold Chance x Festiva’s Denimbarrass Me). Very attractive mostly white, flattens out when moving.
1. WB & BOW Chelsea Tyrendarra (Ch. Sol Y Sombra Palais Royal x Ch. Taejaan Innocent Eyes). Difficult class with some lovely bitches, but 1st won safely, very different in type from the others but a classic Whippet type, beautiful, curvy, small & feminine, didn’t do a thing wrong. Not “my type” but this is a Whippet who could win anywhere in the world.
2. Tivio’s Foreign Affair (Ch. Byerley Savile Row x Ch. Tivio’s Best Kept Secret). Very smooth and correct. One of the few that actually looked better moving than standing. Could have a little more forechest, lovely smooth mover. Very alert.
3. Evergo’s Sketch of the Nations (as #2). Substantial, also a little straight in front, good substance but could have a little more depth, sufficient angulation. Very appealing and a good mover.
4. Nouveau’s Awfully Pretty (Oberon Crosby x Merci Isle Madam Butterfly). Gorgeous outline. Very substantial, strongly muscled, persisted in carrying her tail a little high.
Veteran D. Juniors:
Three excellent dogs, all of the highest quality and very difficult to place, all in top condition. It was a pleasure to judge them.
1. Ch. FC Tivio’s Chiricahua (Ch. Sportingfield’s Jazz Fest x Ch. Tivio’s Allure), I’d like him a little longer in loin and he drops a bit towards the rear but his sidegait is wonderful, so smooth and so easy and effortless. He also has a beautiful head and expression, but he won on his movement.
2. Ch. Lost Creek Malted Milk Whimsy (Ch. Allerei’s Martino x Ch. Whimsy’s Val d’Isere). Another excellent mover, maybe not quite as clean in front than #1, flattens a little in topline and needs more depth and substance of chest, but he’s a really beautiful dog.
3. Ch. Morlais Imagine at Whimsy (Ch. Whimsy’s On A Wing ‘N A Prayer x Idover Spiced Teatime). More substantial than the two above, excellent type and quality, beautiful topline, not quite as elegant as the others and didn’t move quite as smoothly. A beautiful class!
Veteran D. Seniors:
1. Ch. Windstar’s Betelgeuse (Ch. Castlecrest’s Maverick x Ch. Chehalem’s Bali Hai Blue Moon). Appealing type, long lines, smooth, a little upright in shoulder, nice mover.
2. Ch. Summit Autumn Fleecewood Mac (Ch. Red Cloud Quintessence x Ch. Autumn’s Terry Cloth). Very different in type, very pretty but moves with a short step and could be more masculine.
Veteran B. Juniors
1. Ch. Summit Some Days Are Diamonds (Ch. Summit’s Sir Yvain x Ch. Keynote Chelsea Windsong). Very appealing type, superior quality and couldn’t be more feminine, yet substantial, perfect bone, excellent angulation and a really good mover. I just wanted to pick her up and take her home…
2. Ch. Winfield Carnaby Street (Ch. Rhode Paved With Gold x Ch. Winfield Act Blonde), a little bit bigger, not quite as feminine nor quite as good a mover, excellent substance, both very nice.
Veteran B. Seniors
1. Ch. Tivio’s Exotic Wood JC (Ch. Red Cloud Quintessence JC x Ch. Tivio’s Sagehill Dancer), superb quality, really feminine, long neck, lovely head, could perhaps have a little more length of loin but so beautiful and curvy, moves well.
Best of Breed
A very difficult class of 17 specials. Anyone of at least a half dozen of them could have won!
BOB Ch. Summit All That Glitters (Ch. Camelot Nerves of Steel x Ch. Summit Some Days Are Diamonds). Gorgeous type and quality, very feminine and elegant, yet strong and substantial, kept it together on the move. She was hard pushed by several others but in the end won narrowly but decisively. When it’s this close I ask myself “Which one best fits the classic Whippet mold I’ve been looking for over several decades?” I would have been proud to breed this one.
BOS Ch. Strebor’s Life of the Party (Ch. Morlais Imagine a Whimsy x Ch. Strebor’s Engage). Beautiful, with classic outline, excellent type and quality, a very smooth mover and very well presented. Flattened a little over the top on the move but otherwise very hard to fault.
AOM Ch. Leyenda’s Out of the Blue (Ch. Andauer Am I Gonna Be A Star x Leyenda Miyabi Forever Secret). A very stylish, substantial bitch of classic type, very well put together, well handled and a good mover, persists in pulling up her topline a little bit both moving and standing.
AOM Ch. Summit La Signora Cristobel (Ch. Chelsea Long Kiss Goodnight x Ch. Summit Some Days Are Diamond). Gorgeous type and outline, very correct but did not look her best on the day or could have turned the tables on her half sister.
1. Ch. Summit La Signora Cristobel (above), very nice brace of youngsters who were a credit to their beautiful dam.
1. Nouveau’s Awfully Pretty & Nouveau’s Black Gold (above), great brace of blacks, high quality, very well matched and handled.
From the catalog…
Best of Breed: CH SUMMIT ALL THAT GLITTERS. HP12037801. 8/16/04. Brdr: Susan Vernon, CH CAMELOT NERVES OF STEEL – CH SUMMIT SOME DAYS ARE DIAMONDS. Owners: Jennifer Mceachern,Sue Vernon (Bitch)
Best Opposite Sex: CH STREBOR’S LIFE OF THE PARTY. HN00361601. 7/25/02. Brdr: Charles R Roberts,Jeanette Dorsey, CH MORLAIS IMAGINE AT WHIMSY – CH STREBOR’S ENGAGE. Owners: Charles R Roberts (Dog)
Award of Merit: CH LEYENDA’S OUT OF THE BLUE. HP22720904. 7/10/06. Brdr: Heidi Powell, Lisa Higuchi, CH ANDAUER AM I GONNA BE A STAR – LEYENDAMIYABI FOREVER SECRET. Owners: Janet Walter,Amanda Clevenger,Heidi Powell (Bitch)
Award of Merit: CH SUMMIT LA SIGNORA CRISTOBEL. HP03815502. 1/4/03. Brdr: Susan Vernon,Suzi Fosnot, CH CHELSEA LONG KISS GOODNIGHT – CH SUMMIT SOME DAYS ARE DIAMOND. Owners: Jennifer McEachern,Sue Vernon (Bitch)
Winners Dog: HIGHBRIDGE HOME ICE ADVANTAGE. HP22538202. 4/12/06. Brdr: Roger Takahashi, Cara Takahashi, CH COUNTERPOINT JUNGLE DRUMS, FCH – WHIMSY’S HARRIET THE SPY, FCH. Owners: Roger Takahashi,Cara Takahashi
Reserve Winners Dog: TALIESIN MOONSTRUCK. HP26751301. 7/29/07. Brdr: Jane Kilgore,Libby deMille, CH BRUSHWOOD PRIME TIME ENDEAVOR – TALIESIN ENGLISH MUFFIN. Owners: Libby DeMille
Winners Bitch, Best of Winners: CHELSEA TYRENDARRA. HP21718503. 6/1/06. Brdr: Deann Christianson, CH SOL Y SOMBRA PALAIS ROYAL – CH TAEJAAN INNOCENT EYES. Owners: Christopher Downing,Deann Christianson & Christine Downing
Reserve Winners Bitch: KALIPHNA COLOR OF THE WIND. HP04801103. 5/8/03. Brdr: Kathy Searles,Sandi Rolfe, CH STREBOR’S ENERGIZE – KALIPHNA DIXIELAND DELIGHT. Owners: Sandi Rolfe,Kathy Searles