2011 Annual Awards
The Western Washington Whippet Association offers an Annual Award for each of the following titles achieved during the year beginning January 1st and ending December 31st :
- AKC Bench Champion / Foreign Bench Champion
- AKC Field Champion / Foreign Field Title
- AKC Obedience or Rally title / Foreign Obedience Title
- Agility Titles
- ASFA Field Champion or LCM / NOFCA CC/CM
- CWA, NAWRA, WRA or NOTRA Racing Champion
You may apply for as many awards as you qualify for, but you cannot win an award, if you do NOT apply.
Rules governing Annual Award Competition:
- To be eligible for an award, a member must be in good standing at the time the win is acquired. The owner of the dog, the person who actually handles the dog to its titles, must be a club member.
- Persons joining the club during the year, will be credited with wins made only during actual membership. For the Breeder Award, dogs must be bred by the member, they do not have to live with the member. For the Sire/Dam awards the owner of the sire/dam must be a club member, but the dogs that accumulate the points do not have to be member owned. Awards may not be claimed for dogs bred, except for the Breeder Award, by members that did not put the points on the dogs themselves (see Rule 1)
- Awards may be claimed for deceased dogs.
- All titles must be verified by presentation of a copy of the certificate or proof of title issued by the kennel club or appropriate organization. This copy shall be attached to the application form.
- A separate form must be filed for each award, whether for the same or different dogs.
- The Awards committee assumes no responsibility for distribution of the awards other than the official presentation. All club-sponsored awards not claimed after 6 months, will become the property of the club. Individually sponsored awards will be returned to the donor if not claimed.
- Member-sponsored awards must be available for presentation at the Annual Awards dinner.
Member Sponsored Awards
Mary & Chris Downing (Whimsy Whippets) offer an award to the breeder of the whippets (at least 2) who acquire the most bench points, lure coursing points and obedience/rally points during the calendar year. The dogs need not be owned by the breeder. They must take points in at least two of the three areas of competition. Points from AKC and CKC events to be compiled separately. Obedience points to be determined by the average of the 3 highest scores.
Susan & Chris Manthou (Bzantium Hounds) will offer an award for the club member-owned dog shown by the owner that acquires the most Best of Breed wins during the calendar year. At least half of the wins must be AKC wins. Ties to be determined by the number of dogs defeated during the year.
Doris Ringer (Ringo Whippets) offers an award to the club member-owned puppy who acquires the most AKC points before reaching 1 year of age. Ties to be determined first by major wins, then by the number defeated, then by age (younger over older). Administered by Peggy Hewes.
Christine Hopperstad (Alcyon Whippets) offers two awards to the Sire and /or Dam whose get and progeny acquire the most cumulative total AKC show points during the calendar year.
Helen Brettell (Lost Creek) offers an award for the top winning conformation Veteran whippet. This competition is open to all whippets 7 years and older. Point score is based on the number of whippets defeated by the veteran dog or bitch. Points must be gained by winning Veteran Dog or Veteran Bitch class, Best Veteran at a specialty, BOB or BOS. Only those whippets actually present and defeated shall be counted. Wins from licensed conformation shows in any country may be counted. Whippet must be owned and reside with a club member. If a whippet turns 7 during the course of the year, only those points gained after the birthday count toward this award. In the unlikely case of a tie, winner will be the oldest whippet.
Jeannette Dorsey (Treadway Whippets) in Memory of Loughren Snow Spot CD FCh FCHX offers an award to the club member owned dog who acquires the most Best of Breeds in the coursing field during the calendar year. Ties to be determined by the number of dogs defeated.
Arrow Perpetual Award Pat Younger offers a sterling silver trophy bowl to the highest scoring obedience whippet from the Regular classes of AKC, UKC, CKC and foreign shows. The award is a perpetual one, and must be returned to WWWA Awards Committee preceding the Awards Banquet.
- Score is to be calculated from the total of the three (3) best scores achieved during the award (calendar) year. a. You cannot hook a leg from a previous year. You may, however, combine classes, e.g. two Novice scores with one Open score, etc. b. Ties will be broken by use of a fourth show’s score. c. In case of an absolute tie, winner will be determined by the Awards Committee, which must confer with donor. d. All scores used must be qualifying scores.
- The three scores must be from either AKC or CKC shows and cannot be intermixed. e.g., You cannot use two legs won in AKC with one won in Canada. You can, however, submit the two scores won in the same country, or club.
- A dog can win with less than three scores. If a dog qualified only once or twice in the given calendar year, the scores will still apply to the awards. You do not have to submit three scores; however, if another dog is presenting three scores, your total obviously will be less. NOTE: It is very difficult to achieve three legs in any given calendar year, so odds of winning the trophy with fewer legs are reasonable. Obedience exhibitors should submit all scores.
- Owner/handler must provide copies of AKC Gazette pages showing the score and show, etc., for verification. Proof of scores is the responsibility of the owner/handler.
- Dogs must be handled by a member of WWWA or their immediate family; the handler will keep the award. The whippet need not be owned by the handler. However, the trophy plates will be engraved in the dog’s name.
- The trophy bowl’s designation plates will be engraved by the winner before its return to the Awards Committee. In addition, the bowl will be returned to the Awards Committee polished, clean and ready to present to the next winner.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent="yes" overflow="visible"][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type="1_1" background_position="left top" background_color="" border_size="" border_color="" border_style="solid" spacing="yes" background_image="" background_repeat="no-repeat" padding="" margin_top="0px" margin_bottom="0px" class="" id="" animation_type="" animation_speed="0.3" animation_direction="left" hide_on_mobile="no" center_content="no" min_height="none"][download id="10"]
Please download and fill out application. Mail applications with appropriate information/certificates by midnight, February 22, 2012 to:
Jeanette Dorsey PO Box 2799 Woodinville, WA 98072
*OR* email application and picture to: email@example.com
The Annual Awards Banquet will be held Sunday March 18 at Italianissimo in Woodinville, preceded by a regularly scheduled club meeting.
Call with any questions 425-512-0515
-submitted by Awards chair Jeanette Dorsey[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]